St. John Lutheran Church is located in Vancouver, Washington. We are a member congregation of the Northwest District of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.
A Brief History
St. John Lutheran Church was founded by the Rev Edward Doering, first missionary at large for the Northwest District in January, 1908. In 1910 the small congregation of 31 souls decided to build a church near Salmon Creek on land donated by the Jaster family. The first resident pastor was the Rev. Walter G. Biehl, called as a candidate on January 1, 1913. In the spring of 1913 the congregation decided to build a parsonage. In July of 1913, our congregation was received into Synod. In the fall of 1934 the parochial school was begun. In 1938 the former church was expanded to give greater facilities. In 1959 it became necessary to discontinue the parochial school. Dedication of a new church building was held on November 29, 1964, at our present location on Highway 99. During the early 1980’s, Koinonia Hall was built and a preschool/daycare program was begun. A new sanctuary and office wing was dedicated in December 1999. Currently we have two Sunday morning worship services, a Sunday morning Sunday School and Bible Study for all ages, a Wednesday night youth program for youth in grades 6 and up and a myriad of other programs and small groups.
As Lutherans, we believe in a triune God – God the Father, creator of all that exists; Jesus Christ, the Son, who became human to suffer and die for the sins of all human beings and to rise to life again in the ultimate victory over death and Satan; and the Holy Spirit, who creates faith through God’s Word and Sacraments. We believe we are saved by Grace alone, Faith alone, and Scripture alone. Our synod website has more detailed information on our Belief and Practice.
For more on our overarching beliefs, please visit the official LCMS website.
Our Mission Statement
Everyone sharing Christ everywhere.